Thursday, January 3, 2013

Confession #1 of a Southern Belle

Confession: I didn't start Whole30 on the first...I know, I lied. Unintentionally though! Well I spent my new years eve and and new years day in Brevard, North Carolina at Camp Ridge Haven. If you've ever been to camp, you know the food is not compatable with something like the Whole30. Instead, I have started today January 3rd, and I have a terrible headache, my throat hurts and my body aches. Now at Ridge Haven there were several that were sick when I arrived, so I'm not so sure if its the detox or if sickness is catching up to me. All there is to do is wait...(sigh)
How was everyone's New Year celebration?
I know many of my friends and family ranged from staying in with their parents, to going out for drinks, dancing, or falling asleep at 9pm (Momma and Daddy). My grandparents were so enthralled in a movie and computer games they completely missed the new year, gotta love them!
Well, let me give you some background information on Ridge Haven. This is an incredible youth ministry camp, that all are welcome to. I have worked there three summers now, one as an intern: serving in the kitchen, setting up games, serving the counselors, and serving the kids, and two summers as an assistant director: leading camps and reporting to the ministry director, helping counselors night and day, and helping children as best I can. It has been an incredible experience and has changed my life in so many ways. Camps are 1 week long from monday to saturday, and we do our absolute best to make them as exciting and enjoyable as we can. Counselors are what hold the camp together, discipling kids all week, sharing their story/testimony and guiding children through the large group sessions they have morning and night. There are games and obstacle courses that we use as tools to teach kids encouragement, obedience, patience, trust, and courage. Please please go check out their webpage if you are interested, its such a great place, that I hope to continue going to myself.

BraveHeart Camp at Ridge Haven. Specific camp week for children who have lost parents or siblings. An incredible week of grieving and healing, and my favorite camp week to direct of the summer.
Anyways! We had a staff reunion for the New Year and let me tall ya'll, it was FREEZING! Now I came up from south Georgia where it doesn't go far below 48 on most nights, but it was getting to the 20s while I was up there! I thought it was the next ice age coming on us. We had a dance party with the winter camp that was up there, and bowled(which I am terrible at...), and just fellowshiped with one another, it was truly a great way to bring in the new year with all those that I don't see until the summer and love so much!
Regan, Gracie(Me), Audrey, and Stacey. Our first photo of the New Year.
 I hated seeing everyone leave, and leaving myself, but it was nice coming back to the Boro and seeing all those that I love here as well. I hope ya'll had a great New Years day and have a blessed and succesful new year! Can't wait to hear your own stories!
Much love and many blessings,
Gracie & Silas

1 comment: